Is the contents of your home covered?

Have you ever thought about how much the contents of your home is worth?

Do you need contents insurance?

If you rent a home from us, Coastal don’t insure the contents of your home as part of the tenancy agreement or occupation contract. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for, in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Should you consider contents insurance?

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen, so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, Coastal have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Ageas Insurance Limited who provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy.

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Standard Cover

Cover against fire, theft, vandalism, water damage and other household risks.

These are examples of the types of risk your contents will be insured for. Full details of the policy cover and exclusions are available on request before you apply for cover.

You can apply for cover by completing an application form or by calling Thistle. You will also benefit from no excess when you take out the standard cover (you don’t pay the first part of the claim).

Flexible Payment Options

Flexible regular premium payments, fortnightly or monthly by cash, at any post office or pay zone outlet, monthly by direct debit, annually by cheque, postal order, debit or credit card. (Fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge, details are available in the application pack or during the sales journey)

Low Minimum Sums Insured

Cover is offered in bands of £1,000 with low minimum sums insured available.

How do I get further information?


• Ask your local housing officer for an application pack.

• Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288


Thistle Insurance Services

The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at

This Website Uses Cookies

We use cookies to give the best experience on our website. They are used to analyse web traffic, as well as to define your browsing habits to improve your navigation experience. Third parties such as Google may also use cookies to customise digital advertising depending on tastes both on our site as well as on other sites that you visit (re-targeting).

This tool allows you to manage cookies from the Coastal web site and third parties.

You can read our privacy and cookie policy here with additional information on how to disable cookies on the browser.

You can update your preferences at any time by clicking on the icon at the bottom of this page.