Requesting a pet

Coastal promotes responsible pet ownership and recognise the benefits pets offer in terms of companionship and how they can positively contribute to your health and wellbeing. While pets are permitted, some exceptions do exist. Such exceptions will be made clear by Coastal before you choose to rent a home from us. If you already rent from Coastal and wish to get a pet, permission should be obtained in advance. If your pet causes any disturbance, the matter will be treated in accordance with the anti-social behaviour policy.


You can use the form below to request a pet in your home or by sending an email to or a written letter to our office. We have to receive a request in writing / digitally. This cannot be done over the phone.

Download the neutering and microchipping guide


Advice for dog owners

All dog owners have a responsibility to make sure that their dog is well looked after and does not cause any nuisance to their neighbours. The following are common problems that all dog owners should be aware of:-
Dangerous Dogs

The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (amended in 1997) bans ownership, breeding, sale, exchange and advertising of dogs you can find out more about it here

If you’re concerned about the changes to owning XL Bully breeds, you can find out more here.


It is normal and natural for dogs to bark, but the constant barking or whining of a dog can be annoying and upsetting for your neighbours. If the noise amounts to a statutory nuisance you could face prosecution, and if convicted you could face a fine of up to £5,000.

Your dog may be barking out of boredom or loneliness.

Steps you can take:

  • Your dog should be rewarded for good behaviour.
  • If your dog is outside you should ask neighbours to ignore the dog if it barks for their attention.
  • When your dog is excited and seeking attention, you should try to avoid touching, looking, talking and shouting at it.
  • Provide your dog with safe, interesting toys.
  • Walk your dog at least twice a day.
  • Keep your dog inside when you are unable to supervise it.
  • Do not leave your dog alone for long periods of time.

Dogs need to be vaccinated and have regular health checks with their vets. Vet bills can be costly and for your peace of mind, it may be worth getting a pet insurance policy to give your dog the protection they need. PDSA do offer help with vet bills for those who are claiming housing or council tax benefits.


It is your responsibility to remove dog fouling immediately and dispose of it in a way that does not cause a nuisance. You should use a poop scoop or plastic bag and dispose of it in any Council waste bin or your household refuse.


Every dog should have a tag but this can get lost. A microchip is a permanent identification that links dogs to their owners and it is recommended for all dogs.

The chip is a painless procedure and is placed in between the shoulder blades of your dog. Dogs need to be four months old before they are micro chipped. The Dog’s Trust offers free microchipping and low cost neutering .


Dog owners must not let their dogs stray. You must make sure that your dogs are kept secure in your home and in your garden. It is advisable for owners to have their dogs on leads in communal areas. Dogs are not allowed on fenced children’s play areas, bowling greens and the playing areas of marked sports pitches.

Cruelty or neglect

The Animal Welfare Act requires all dog owners to meet the five freedoms as follows:

  • Freedom from hunger and thirst
  • Freedom from discomfort
  • Freedom from pain, injury and disease
  • Freedom to behave normally
  • Freedom from fear and distress.

If you think that a neighbour is guilty of cruelty or neglect towards an animal, you should report it to the RSPCA. The RSPCA will treat your report as confidential.

More information

Dogs Trust

The Dogs Trust provides advice on all aspects of dog ownership.


The PDSA provides a range of medical and surgical veterinary services. They offer help with vet bills for those who are claiming housing or council tax benefits.

Local Authorities

For further advice on dog barking, noise nuisance, micro chipping or other issues, please contact your Local Authority who will be able to advise you:

Swansea Council

Neath and Port Talbot Council

Bridgend County Council

Carmarthenshire County Council

This Website Uses Cookies

We use cookies to give the best experience on our website. They are used to analyse web traffic, as well as to define your browsing habits to improve your navigation experience. Third parties such as Google may also use cookies to customise digital advertising depending on tastes both on our site as well as on other sites that you visit (re-targeting).

This tool allows you to manage cookies from the Coastal web site and third parties.

You can read our privacy and cookie policy here with additional information on how to disable cookies on the browser.

You can update your preferences at any time by clicking on the icon at the bottom of this page.